Sunday, June 20, 2010

Rojak

I know when you looked at the title, the gooey sweety goodness of a delicacy come into mind. The picture shows my wife's self made asam-kuah rojak. Not sweet, bit of sourish, nutty, crunchyly delicious.

I had some discussions with my current universities trainees on their industrial training. They make a lot of effort to complete their knowledge. But with wrong approach.

First, I asked them a question. When your blood is taken, what kind of results do you expect? Not surprisingly, they can't answer it accurately. It is universal. Everyone treats industrial training as something that has to be done. They forget the essence of the experience. Just like rojak. Most people perceive it as sweet, with lots of cucumber and fried tofu, food. I told them if I'm a towkay asking the same question, how are they going to stand out among hundreds of applicants? Sadly, they are exactly the same with the rest of the graduates.

I told them since they had handled hundreds of blood samples, I expected them to say at least "I want to know my blood glucose level, my cholesterol level in my FLP profile, the level of ions in BUSE, and uric acid in the RFP profile" Sweet and simple. At least they show their most basic understanding of a medical diagnostics lab's function.

Working life is cruel. We just have to redefine our learning process to have a better employability particularly in this country, Malaysia. Sooner or later, almost everyone in the street will be holding a Masters degree. Already, many degree graduates in Sibu are loitering around the house with no job to sustain them. Except for their PAMA (PAPA & MAMA) allowances.

1 comment: