Thursday, June 30, 2011

Monthly Household Expenses

Today marks the end of my fourth month 'working' for the Wife and the Son.

Though I don't contribute to our coffer, I do keep track of it.

Let's categorize the expenses into 3 groups.

Group 1 : Unavoidable expenses

Rent : RM600 (No housing loan, yet) Telephony charges (Yeah, Maxis rocks) : RM117 Electricity and Water Bills: RM160 (My fault for watching Astro programmes since 7 a.m. till 1 a.m.)

Total damage : RM877

Group 2 : Trying-to-spend-the-least expenses

Car loan (Only one Myvi, I haven't own any car yet) : RM 700, Petrol (Wife's working place is 2-3 kilometres away. I stay in my working place) RM200, Average Car insurance and maintenance fees per month : RM 100

Damage : RM 1000

Group 3 : Stomach-filling expenses

Groceries (including vinegar, rock sugar and salted fish) RM 450, Eating out (for three of us) RM500, Son's milk and diapers RM250

Total : RM1200

Groups 4 : Miscellaneous

New clothes, toys, Purposely-damaged-by-Son spectacles, Shoes for Son's ever growing feet, the list go on : RM 500

Savings? What savings? Most commonly paid expenses by everyone are housing loan and car loans. And of course insurance(s). Buying a liveable house easily costs one RM350 000 these days. If I buy a house using government loan which is reserved for civil servants (the yearly interest is kept at four per cent), the interest alone sets me off by RM 1100 per month. Private sector employees who can't enjoy the benefit have to pay at least 6 per cent. New houses are unsold (in my hometown, at least) A simple check in mudah.com.my concludes that there are many unsold properties. With the current world economy, I hope I don't have to fork out that much in probably 7 years?

Insurance is not needed in Malaysia. Life insurance and medical insurance easily cost hundreds of ringgits per month. My neighbours buy insurance, my friends buy insurance, my former classmates buy insurance, my relatives buy insurance. Have I heard any of them ever claim insurance money? Simply no. Period. Medical fees in government hospitals are so dirt cheap. (Psstt.. Private hospitals employ the same doctors working in the government hospitals. So, why bother to pay more).

Cars are liabilities. Ask my Son. He has an advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment