Friday, May 11, 2012

Seems easy? Of course it's not!

Being a stay-at-home dad gives me a glimpse of everyday lives of stay at home parents.A friend of mine asked me about the kinds of activites done at home.

Well, while Government staff are having their breakfast (erhm.. it's 8.30 am), while private sector employees are busy finishing their tasks, while students are learning new lessons in school, I was doing house chores.

Disclaimer: I'm not a good Dad. I'm doing the necessary tasks at home. Just the routine.

8.10am - After sending Wife and Son to their workplaces, I reached home. Thawing meat is the first business of the day. But I do prefer to buy fresh meat near our place. Pork ribs for soup, minced meat to stuff bittergourd or cook meat porridge and such.. But Wife prefer to buy fresh fish and prawn on Saturday morning in Satok market.

Thawing fish
 8.30am - Breakfast time while waiting for the washing machine to finish its job. Cleaned last night's dishes. (See.. I procrastinated a lot). Washed some vegetables. Dinner at home is a simple one. Soup, vegetable dish and some protein.

Oily stains
9.15am - Housewife can finish many chores by now. But I admit I terribly slow. Putting laundry to dry easily took me 15 minutes which should be done in 5 minutes.

Laundry to be dried
 House is always messy. Toys, Lego blocks, plastic cups, all sort of mess, an aftermath after Son's invasion.

 
Pieces of toys to be cleared away
10 am - Short rest with TV on. Getting ready to cook the dishes. Cooking a simple vegetable dish easily set me back 25 minutes including the mess cleaning time.

11 am - It's getting hot. Sun is rising. Bottle which I hadn't wash.

Bottle to be washed
 Dusty fan which was calling for my time.

Dusty fan to be cleaned

Did I mention I forgot to wash the rice cooker? Cook rice? Another 10 minutes. Boil water? Another 5 minutes. Sweep the floor? Another 10 minutes. Throw rubbish? Another 5 minutes.

Dishes to be washed
 Wait. Did you smell something? I did switch off the fire. Or didn't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment