Sunday, February 13, 2011

I hope my son can talk to me about everything

The number of suicides that are reported in The Star a few days ago is worrying. Especially among the school-going youngsters. Take for example, 17-year-old Sally Lee. She left a suicide note on her Facebook wall. Days later, she fell off from the second floor of her school. On average, two persons commit suicide daily in Malaysia.

After all these years of nurturing, she walked out from her Chemistry lesson and jumped just like that. One can imagine the mess she had created on the ground. According to my Church's theology, suicide is a serious sin. Who are we, the gifts of God, to take our own lives? Does she think of the consequences of her actions?

Doesn't she have any avenue to talk it over? Any friends, relatives or even her own parents?

Personally, I can't really talk to my parents heart-to-heart. It's too emotional. We have different views on almost every aspects. Such is my upbringing. That's too bad. Then again, that is what Chinese parenting is all about.


Yet another bruise.

I want my son to be able to ask me anything at any times. No boundaries.

"Daddy, I kind of like this girl. She's beautiful and I like to talk to her. I want her to be my girlfriend." Naturally, in the Land of Foochows where I grow up, such question will be answered with threats, loud screams and quarreling. Conversations will end up with confusions and frustrations.

For me, I'll reply "Good for you, son. I never see a girl walking in my school except for those bad mouthed cikgu. Being in relationship takes a lot of time and energy. Had you read Men Are from Mars and Women Are from Venus? Girls are different from boys. What do you do when a girl calls you in the middle of of night, crying? Worse, she'll call you again, crying her heart out, at 3 am. Every other night for one whole week! She might scream at you for a minor reason for certain time of the month for girls have much different sets of hormones. Are you in that phase of life? Maybe we should concentrate on Bernoulli's stuff for now?"



How would you reply back?

No comments:

Post a Comment