Friday, February 11, 2011

Toddler Dicipline

I confess that I yelled at my toddler once. It was loud. As a consequence, he cried his heart out. I was trying to get him to sleep. I had switched off the light. As we were lying down, my toddler came up to me and scratched my face. It was really painful and it got me fuming mad. Since then, I realised what I did that night was terribly wrong. Or is it?

Toddler discipline involves teaching without overwhelmed emotions. Neither it is a form of punishment or "hitting back". Currently, my toddler's main caregiver is me (as well as his sleeping partner). I should understand his character and guide him with compassion and full of patience.


Look, Dad. I'm can climb.


The occupational hazard of being a super climber.

My 14-month toddler loves to explore new things and new corners. He'll open every drawers and cabinet doors. He'll grab every single things that his hands are able to reach. I always say a firm "No". He seems to understand but being "defiant", he starts to shake his head and utters "no, no, no". The moment I stopped him from grabbing an item, he'll go "no, no,no" as if telling himself not to do so.


I'm Darrien, a window opener.

Some parenting sites suggest telling the toddlers "no" when they misbehave and spanking to teach children to be afraid of their parents. My wife has been telling me that I had been too "soft" with my boy. My nanny told us before that she used to take care of a toddler who will hit his head on the wall when he's frustrated. She said the most probable reason for his behaviour was due to his father's attitude. He'll blame himself for everything that the toddler did wrong.

Being a disciplinarian rather than giving in to every of my boy's requests most probably is the way to go. Amy Chua's screaming at her little daughter however was frowned at. However, I agree with her Chinese parenting which involves parental authority, hard work, discipline, screaming and caning.



Those were our way of lives that mould us who we are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment